I hope you all had a restful and enjoyable holiday season. As we begin another year at the university, I have a few resources, opportunities and pieces of useful information to share with you.
First, the National Science Foundation HERD rankings for fiscal year 2018 have arrived, and I am proud to note that ASU continues to demonstrate excellence in research expenditures nationally. In fact, ASU has risen to #7 for total research expenditures among institutions without a medical school. Other notable rankings include:
- #1 for geological and earth sciences, ahead of MIT, Texas A&M and Virginia Tech.
- #1 for anthropology, ahead of Harvard, Stanford and University of Michigan.
- #2 for transdisciplinary research, ahead of MIT, Johns Hopkins University and Northwestern.
- #4 for social sciences, ahead of Berkeley, UCLA and Cornell.
- #5 for political science and government, ahead of Duke, Tufts and Penn State.
- #5 for humanities, ahead of Harvard, Yale and Wisconsin.
- #5 for NASA-funded expenditures, ahead of Stanford, UCLA and University of Washington.
- #7 for HHS (including NIH)–funded expenditures among universities without a medical school, ahead of Princeton, Carnegie Mellon and Georgia Tech.
- #8 for electrical, electronic and communications engineering, ahead of MIT, Stanford and Carnegie Mellon.
You can read this story for more information about ASU’s latest rankings.
In addition, if you haven’t already, I invite you to watch the new ASU Impact video for some highlights of how our research is making a difference in our local and global community.
Sethuraman “Panch” Panchanathan
Executive Vice President, ASU Knowledge Enterprise
Chief Research and Innovation Officer